What is Educational Advocacy?
Educational Advocacy is a partnership between an educational advocate and a family to assure that their child receives an appropriate education. Advocates are highly knowledgeable and experienced in educational laws, procedures and interventions, along with services the schools can provide. Advocates do not provide legal advice, only advice on when an attorney should be involved. Advocates represent the student and family in ensuring they receive the necessary modifications and accommodations to help their child be successful.Contact Us
How can it help you?
An educational advocate can help by:
- Reviewing educational records to make informed, individualized recommendations on possible accommodations and modifications
- Developing goals and a strategic plan for both school and home to support the child’s success
- Identify any problems interfering with the educational needs of the child
- Attending school conferences with teachers and administrators
- Attending IEP or 504 Plan meetings to represent the student and parents
- Consulting and supporting parents throughout the IEP or 504 Plan
What to expect:
An educational advocate will:
- Ensure the school is providing services and is held accountable as outlined by law*.
- Provide information to parents if the school and parents cannot come to an agreement
- Ensure appropriate assessments are being used to determine levels and need
- Verify that the education plan is thorough and based on the needs of the student
- Check that your child is benefiting from all available educational programs and activities
- Review that modifications, accommodations and aids are being utilized
Our educational advocacy solution is $100 per hour and includes consultation in the office, attendance at school meetings, and correspondence with teachers, guidance counselors and/or other education administration. Unfortunately, few insurance plans cover educational advocacy so CICS offers a cash payment option.
*Please note: while all CICS staff are knowledgeable about laws, we are NOT lawyers. We cannot give legal advice, but can tell you when it’s time to involve a lawyer. There are pro bono attorneys in the Lehigh Valley we can refer you to, including North Penn Legal Services.
Learn More About Customized Counseling Solutions at CICS
Every family’s situation is unique. That’s why we offer custom counseling solutions tailored to your exact needs. We believe comprehensive, data-driven mental health care should be accessible and affordable. We strive to ensure your family’s care is effective the first time, without the stress of searching to find a counseling solution that works.
If you would like to learn how we customize our treatment plans to meet the unique needs of the children and families we work with, feel free to contact us today.Contact Us